St Matthew's Church in Landscove is a beautiful mid 19th century church, designed by John Loughborough Pearson, who later became the architect of Truro Cathedral. It has a pretty Victorian broached spire, rather untypical of the Devon style, and the attractive churchyard is approached through a delightful Grade 2 slate-roof, buttressed lychgate.
St Matthew's Church, Landscove
The building of the church was generously financed by a Miss Champernowne, at a cost of approximately £3,000. The C of E School next to the church was built to serve the children of the many parishioners living nearby who were emplyed at the Penn Recca slate mine, owned by the Champernowne family, and from where the slate for the roof of the Houses of Parliament was quarried. A Vicarage was also built next to the church.
The Vicarage was sold in 1960 to the author Edward Hyams (1910-1975) and his design of the gardens at Hill House Nursery was the subject of his book 'An Englishman's Garden'. The garden subsequently joined a list of the top 1000 gardens in England and contained a great variety of rare and wonderful plants.